The history of Our Savior’s is found in two parent congregations: Immanuel and Trinity. The union of these two church bodies in 1915 transmitted to the merger congregation not only a major part of their memberships, but also their properties, traditions and church customs.
On December 11, 1881, the charter members of Immanuel Norwegian-Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denver signed their constitution at a meeting in the German Evangelical Lutheran Church. The synod connection with the Norwegian Synod was made in 1885. The second congregation dated from 1901 when a group of Norwegian American Lutherans, who had no church of their own, banded together to organize a congregation. On July 21 of that year, the first service of the Trinity United Norwegian Lutheran Congregation was conducted at United Brethren Church, rented for Sunday services. On October 10, the same year, the congregation was organized with 37 charter members.
In August of 1914, committees were elected in both congregations to consider possible terms of union. These terms were soon ratified by both, and in February 1915, two joint services were held, one in each church. The new congregation was organized as the “Denver Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation,” which name was retained until January 1925, when “Our Savior’s Evangelical Lutheran” was adopted as the official name. Various church properties were used by the congregation until 1923, when a corner lot at East Ninth and Emerson was secured; construction of the new church was begun that summer.
On May 17, 1925, a large confirmation service marked the first use of the fully completed building. Several building projects at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church have been completed since 1925. In 1962, with a membership of over 900, a major parish educational wing was completed expressing the congregation’s decision to remain in the Capitol Hill area of Denver. In 1991, an extensive remodeling project to make the church handicapped-accessible, install an elevator, rebuild angled stairways, add larger basement bathrooms, and add fellowship space in the narthex was completed. That project of over $300,000 and a $62,000+ pipe organ renovation have been paid off.
Today, the facilities of Our Savior’s are utilized not only by our own congregation, but also by a wide variety of community groups over the years. The congregation has had a long-time commitment to community outreach, as well as ministering to its members through changing and ongoing programs of the Church.